To show our appreciation for developers, and to make it easy to get started with Plivo, we now offer free developer accounts for life to all new registrants!
What does this mean?
You will be given $120 credit every year which can be used to build voice applications. While these accounts are meant for getting your feet wet with our platform, they also provide the freedom needed to prototype and test applications before fully committing.
1. Plivo numbers cannot be purchased nor can you receive inbound voice calls and SMS on Plivo phone numbers; however, you can bring your own phone numbers. Services like virtualphoneline.com (comes with free minutes!) let you get numbers that you can use with your developer account. A comprehensive list of services and documentation which will describe this in more detail to come.
2. Outgoing voice calls and SMS to regular phones, including mobile and landline phones, will not be possible.
Now the Possibilities!
Apart from the above two restrictions listed above, you can do everything else on a developer account, such as:
1. Place and route calls between Endpoints. Endpoints could be any regular SIP phone, browser phones using our Web SDK or even Mobile SDK. You can even use any physical SIP devices like Polycom/Cisco phones. Find documentation here, here and here.
2. Use all of our powerful APIs and XML and build advanced applications like PBXs, conferencing bridges, and IVRs. There are no restrictions on this. You can even use our high quality text to speech feature with the developer accounts.
3. Bring your own phone numbers (DIDs) from various external providers at no extra cost. These can be services offering free or paid international DIDs. In fact , once you upgrade to a regular account these DIDs will still work. :)
The Fine Print
1. $120 is credited to your account @ $10/every calendar month. There are no rollovers of remaining credit.
2. When you charge your account for the first time, your account becomes a regular account. A regular account has no limitations.
Create your first real application, blog about it to the world and we will upgrade you a $240 per year developer account. That gives you $20 every month for life.
Sign up for your free developer account today and get started with this tutorial!
If you need help getting started, or would like more information, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or ping our 24/7 live chat support at www.plivo.com. Attending Pycon US 2013? Stop by our booth (#322) to receive a larger free dev account and register in person.